This Easy Homemade Paleo Chocolate is so delicious and so simple to make. Four ingredients and a few minutes is all it takes.
This chocolate was made specifically for my sister. She loves chocolate, like love loves it, but she wasn’t loving all the weird ingredients in the store bought ones or the price of the “healthier” ones. I knew it had to be simple to make, so I tried and it has become her favorite! The first batch was a test for sweetness, then I did some adjusting and now it’s perfect. These are sweetened just the right amount if you like dark chocolate. If you like your chocolate a little sweeter then use a little more honey.
I just love the size of the hearts. A few are perfect for a craving. These are dairy free, soy free, naturally sweetened and everything in them is good for you. You can feel good eating these delicious treats. The hearts in the above picture are coconut which is why you can see the little specs. The other flavors are smoother.
I’m not claiming to be a health expert, but here are some health benefits of the ingredients.
- Cacao powder: this is not the same as cocoa powder. Cacao is full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Coconut oil- strengthens immune system, helps prevent wrinkles, improves bone health, rich in lauric acid that helps maintain blood sugar and cholesterol levels, and helps heal infections. (Many other benefits not listed)
- Honey- alleviates allergies, cough suppressant, and is a sleep aid.
Make them once and you’ll be hooked. You can play around with flavors, adjust the sweetness, and make fun shapes.
They do need to be stored in the fridge or freezer because they melt at room temperature. Once they’re hard, I just pop them into a container and keep them in the freezer. It works perfect.
Here are the molds I used for the hearts. You’ll need to buy two. They’re my favorite and one batch fills both molds perfectly.
I am so glad I’m able to make my sister a healthy treat that she loves. And I love how quick and easy they are!
- ½ cup coconut oil (measured as liquid)
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons honey (more if you like sweeter chocolate)
- pinch of salt (about ⅛ teaspoon)
- ADD INS
- ¼ teaspoon mint extract OR
- ½ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut OR
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- Place coconut oil, cacao powder, and honey in a sauce pan and heat over medium heat until combined.
- Use a whisk to make sure all lumps are gone.
- Remove from heat and stir in any additions.
- Once smooth, pour into molds or onto a tray and place in the freezer for at least an hour to harden.
- Remove from molds and store in the freezer.
- They will melt at room temperature because of the coconut oil.