I know this recipe is super simple and super basic, but it’s such a good one to have. There are so many different variations you can do with it and I use it to make ranch dip (recipe coming soon). Now that I’ve made it, I’ll never buy it again. Not only can I control the ingredients that way, but the flavor in no comparison. So fresh, thick, and creamy. I always have some on hand to make a quick chicken or tuna salad.
It comes together so fast. Like, less than two minutes. It is very important to have all your ingredients at room temperature. I usually set the egg out the night before I plan on making it. If you forget, a handy tip is to fill a bowl with hot tap water and place the egg in it for 5 minutes. It will become room temperature that way.
I like to use a wide mouth mason jar and immersion blender. Those things are so affordable and so useful. I have the most success with that opposed to a regular blender. It is possible that way too though, if that’s what you have.
Slowly drizzle oil in with the blender on until all oil is poured in. I couldn’t take a picture of that because I only have two hands. 🙂 Move the blender up and down in the jar until it starts to thicken. You will also hear the motor change from a fast high pitch to a low slower sound.
Make it, love it, spread it on everything!
Also, check out my Chipotle Mayo– so good with an added kick!
- 1 large organic egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice- fresh squeezed is best
- 1 teaspoon Real Salt (if not using real salt, use ½ teaspoon)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup light olive oil
- Place egg, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a wide mouth mason jar or a blender. Blend until combined.
- With the blender on or with the immersion blender in the jar running, slowly drizzle the oil in until it emulsifies.
- Move the immersion blender up and down in the jar until think. This should take less than a minute.
- Store in fridge for up to a week.