These Paleo Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings are crispy, full of flavor, and easy to make! Gluten free, dairy free and Whole30!
These chicken wings are so good and perfect for people who may not love traditional buffalo wings. I do have a recipe for those and people love them, but options are nice and these are completely different.
They are super easy to make. Toss them with avocado oil (because that can hold up to the high temperature) and bake for 45 minutes to make them crispy. Then dip them in a ghee/lemon mixture and bake for another 5 minutes. So simple and mostly hands free. The lemon pepper I use is from Trader Joes and has clean ingredients- make sure to check yours if you’re using a different brand.
3 pounds may seem like a lot of wings, but there’s not a lot of meat on them so it’s perfect. They can be served as an appetizer or along side some veggies for a main meal. They fit on one sheet tray and I like to place them on a wire cooling rack on the sheet tray so both sides get cooked evenly.
The lemon zest and juice add such a nice brightness and flavor. The ghee makes them buttery and irresistible and then they are perfectly seasoned with lemon pepper seasoning. It makes for one tasty wing!
You will love these Paleo Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings because they are crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, seasoned just right and so easy! Perfect for game day or any day
Here are a few more appetizers you might enjoy: Paleo Buffalo Wings, Chipotle Stuffed Mushrooms, Oven Baked Meatballs, and Chipotle Bacon Deviled Eggs. Those are all paleo and Whole30 so you can snack in a more healthy way!
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon real salt
- 6 tablespoons ghee
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning, I use Trader Joes brand
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a sheet tray with foil. Place a wire cooling rack on top on the foil- this will help the wings get crispy on both sides. Set aside while you prepare the wings.
- Put all the wings in a big bowl and pat dry with paper towel. Add the avocado oil and toss until evenly coated,
- Place all the wings on the sheet tray, skin side up. Sprinkle salt evenly on top and bake for 45 minutes,
- During the last 10 minutes of baking, making the lemon ghee mixture. In a sauce pan, combine ghee, lemon zest and juice and whisk until fully combined.
- Remove the wings and dip them in the lemon mixture. I find tongs work best for this. Place them back on the sheet tray skin side up.
- Brush remaining ghee on the wings and evenly sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning.
- Bake for 5 more minutes.