These Paleo Oven Baked Ribs are so easy, flavorful, and tender! Low and slow cooking in the oven is the key to amazing ribs every time. Gluten free, dairy free, with a Whole30 option.
Just in time for summer- the perfect rib recipe that is delicious, easy, and healthy! While coming up with this recipe, I looked up tons of other recipes and was shocked that most rubs contain a lot of sugar- like 1/2 cup! I understand the need for a little sweetness to balance the smoke and spice, but that much isn’t necessary. I used Bobby Flay’s rub as a guideline because he knows what he’s doing when it comes to barbecue. I made a couple small changes to make it paleo, but it still has all the flavor that pairs perfectly with the ribs.
I made these twice- the first time rubbing them down the day before and letting them marinate overnight. The second time I rubbed them down right before baking them- and the difference? Not much. So there’s no need to make them the day ahead, but you can if you want. A lot of times I like to do the prep work a day in advance. You could even make a big batch of the dry rub to keep on hand so you don’t have to mix it up every time.
My husband is pretty particular about his ribs and he LOVES these! I’ve never been a big fan of ribs and he was glad he didn’t have to share with me! The three hours in the oven is what makes them so tender and good! Low and slow is the best method for ribs. They have just the right balance of smoke and salt that cooks into the meat giving it deep flavor. They are fully cooked when they go on the grill- so that’s just for char and flavor.
They’re easy to make Whole30, just leave the small amount of coconut sugar out of the dry rub. I think they are perfect as-is, but if you want to use a barbecue sauce for them, here is my Paleo Whole30 barbecue sauce that can be made while they bake. It’s quick and delicious!
One important tip that I think makes a big difference is to make sure you remove the membrane on the back side of the ribs. Here is a little visual on doing that.
You will love these ribs because they are easy and flavorful. Just a little hands-on time for some incredible ribs! Don’t be intimidated by that ingredient list- it’s mostly just spices that you have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (leave out for Whole30)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Real Salt
- 1 rack baby back ribs
- Preheat oven to 275° and line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine coconut sugar, garic powder, onion powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, cayenne peppe, and Real Salt. Mix well.
- Dry the ribs off and peel the membrane off the back side. Rub down with the dry rub mixture on both sides, rubbing it in throughly.
- Place on sheet tray and bake for 3 hours.
- Grill on high heat for 3 minutes a side, just to give char.