These Sloppy Joes are Paleo & Whole30 approved, with so much more flavor than you’ll get from the can and can be made in just 30 minutes.
These Sloppy Joe’s are one of my husbands favorite things I’ve made him. And that’s saying a lot because I am cooking for him constantly. I just made them on a whim last week when I was trying to come up with a quick meal that fit in the Whole30 guidelines. They came out amazing! Better than I expected. I didn’t measure anything, as usual, so I remade them this week to get the measurements right.
Here’s the ingredients you’ll need. Pretty simple – the only thing that you may not have is the coconut aminos. You can find it at any health food store or online and I highly recommend it. It was such a huge part of our Whole30.
Sauté the onion and pepper in a pan until they start to soften and the onions start to become translucent. It takes about 5 minutes. Note that I’m making a double batch, so the pan won’t be this full when you make it. Unless you also have a husband that eats 8 times a day – then I recommend making a double batch so it last longer than a day.
Add the ketchup, tomato paste, and coconut aminos. Turn on low and cook for at least 10 minutes. I like to simmer it for 30-40 to develop the flavors, but that’s not necessary if you don’t have the time. Serve it over zucchini noodles, a baked sweet potato, straight out of a bowl, or my husbands favorite- on oven fries. Serving it on a paleo bun would also be delicious.
I know- that looks like spaghetti sauce, but it’s not. It’s so much better. The (naturally) sweet ketchup combines with the savory onion, pepper, and coconut aminos for the best combination.
These Sloppy Joes are so good! I know you’ll love them because they are so quick and easy and they taste amazing! It’s a meal the whole family will love.
Here’s a link to the ketchup I used. It’s pretty awesome Paleo Whole30 Ketchup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 red pepper, or orange/green/yellow
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound grass-fed beef
- ¾ cup Paleo Whole30 Ketchup, or ketchup of choice if not following Whole30
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Place the coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Dice up the red pepper and onion and sauté in the coconut oil over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, until they start to soften and onions start to become translucent.
- Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and stir in.
- Add the beef and break it up with a spatula. Cook until browned.
- Add ketchup, coconut aminos, and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Let cook on low for at least 10 minutes. The longer it cooks the more the flavors will develop. I like to simmer it for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve over zucchini noodles, a sweet potato, or just eat it out of a bowl!